I went to an info session today about Paid Family Leave, presented by an administrator from EDD. I thought it’s very helpful and would like to share the info here with everyone. Not all employers share these pertinent information with their employees. We need to be educated about all of these benefits that we’re entitled to:
- Paid Family Leave is a new legislation that allow employees to take time off from work to care for a seriously ill child, spouse, parent, domestic partner, or to bond with a new born child.
- PFL applies to all employees covered by State Disability Insurance.
- Weekly benefits range from $50 to $840. Payments are capped at 6 weeks over a rolling 12-month period.
- Employees are eligible to apply without regard to length of employment with current employer.
- There is a one-week waiting period before claimants are eligible for payment.
- Employers may require employees to use up to two weeks vacation before archiving PFL insurance benefits.
- PFL insurance benefits are payable at the same rate as SDI benefits using the same base period concept.
- Employees cannot receive PFL insurance benefits if receiving Workers’ Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, or State Disability Insurance.
- Current contribution rate: 0.8%.
To find out more information, go to www.edd.ca.gov .
This benefit may not apply to us right now, but it may be useful later on in life.